Little was known about the role of Walhampton during World War II until a recent discovery by OW Peter Ellis
'Walhampton House was requisitioned on November 17, 1943 and opened as Rest Home in 1944 for 50 enlisted men. Officers who ran "Station 558" included 1st Lieutenants Gerald M. Mullen and Edwin Weiman. The American Red Cross girls were Jane Lane, Connie McKenna, Lisa Spillman, Katie Willingham, Susie Sanders, Kathleen Regan and Angie Jackson. The Rest Home closed in May 1945.'
Flak Houses Then and Now, by Keith Thomas